What Is NomNomNutrient Mix?
Video: Dr. Justin Shmalberg, DVM
Our nutrient mix is a proprietary formula developed by
The NomNomNutrient Mix is what differentiates your average home-cooked dog food from a veterinary-formulated recipe, and helps us provide your dog with the highest quality nutrition.
Dr. Shmalberg carefully designed for the nutrient composition of ingredients in each recipe, as well as for the different life stages of your dog. These nutrients are the same as those found naturally in foods. There are no artificial forms of vitamins and minerals added. The nutrients help ensure optimal nutrition with each dog food recipe and account for any natural variation that occurs within foods to guarantee that your dog will receive a balanced meal - every time.
Here is a breakdown of each ingredient and why it's included as an essential part of your pet's recipe:
- Vitamin D - Necessary for normal bone maturation and maintenance of blood calcium levels.
- Vitamin E - Primary antioxidant in the membranes of all cells, critically important line of defense against oxidative stress.
- Vitamin B1 - Like many of the B vitamins, a critical co-factor in the utilization of energy throughout the body and important to normal neurologic function.
- Vitamin B2 - Critical to energy utilization within cells.
- Vitamin B12 - Supports biochemical reactions in the body, contributes to normal red blood cells, and assists in nerve function.
- Iron - A critical mineral for red blood cells and a contributor to the function of some enzymes.
- Iodine - Necessary for normal thyroid function.
- Zinc - A mineral with many jobs, from helping to maintain immune status, the growth of cells, and in skin healing
. Selenium - Assists in the body's antioxidant defenses . Copper - An important co-factor in many enzymatic reactions, assists in red blood cell formation and the normal growth of tissues . Manganese - Plays a role in antioxidant function, bone development, wound healing, and other critical processes . Taurine - Critical part of compounds in the gut that absorb fats (bile salts) and also appears to maintain normal heart health. Dogs can synthesize taurine whereas cats cannot . Choline - Helps to transport fat, contribute to important reactions in the body, and also is a component of neurotransmitters.
- Vitamin A - Included in our Nutrient Mix designed specifically for cats. While dogs can convert beta carotene from veggies to Vitamin A, cats require pre-formed Vitam A (i.e. retinol) in their diet because they are carnivores.
The nutrient blend and mixture in the NomNomNow formulas
The body recognizes them completely as these essential nutrients that are an important part of health. They are placed in there to make sure that we are providing the optimal nutrition and to account for any natural variation within foods, again, in order to promote the best health possible and really tailor the experience and the diet to the individual pet